Wednesday, April 29, 2015

APRIL PAD CHALLENGE DAY TWENTY-SIX

APRIL PAD DAY 26, 2015

For today’s prompt, take a word or two invented by William Shakespeare, make it the title of your poem, and write your poem. 

ODE TO BANDIT


A tiny fur-ball
I found him beside the road
didn't think he'd live
but he surprised me 
and grew to be one seventy
pounds that is, weighed more than me
he turned out to be
practically, almost, absolutely, untrainable
named him Bandit
bought him a bed
that's where the cat sleeps
he prefers the couch 
he farts, gets up and leaves the room
he digs holes, big ones
dug one under the fence
took a short vacation over at the dog pound
not even a guilty look on his mug on the ride home
sat in the car seat with his head out the window
ears blowing in the wind, just as pleased as punch
he barks at the neighbors cat,  digs in the trash
tore up my bed pillow, all over the house
ate a whole pizza he stole off the counter
threw it up on the living room rug
but he also warms my feet on cold nights
sleeps beside me when I am sick
never gets angry or calls me names
doesn't hold a grudge, or slam the door
never leaves in the middle of my story
never points out my faults
thinks I am the greatest person on earth
meets me at the door every evening
what more could you ask for in a best friend!

J Kuykendall


No comments:

Post a Comment